For most of the booming businesses in modern times, although QuickBooks Online is a choice, but for many, QuickBooks Desktop is still more reliable and robust. Want to move from QuickBooks Online to Desktop, but don’t know the steps? You are at the right place.
This article shall provide you with a thorough step-by-step walkthrough for transferring from QuickBooks Online to Desktop. Just ensure that you go through the article till the very end and implement all the measures in a sequential order.
Why Move from QuickBooks Online to Desktop?
QuickBooks Desktop offers certain distinctive features which are not available in the QuickBooks Online version. These features include:
- Ability to Undo transactions.
- Batch Invoicing
- Customization of Invoice Templates.
- Plethora of other customizations and integrations.
- Ability to revert back to an older company file version.
- Recurring transactions
- Unwarranted/Unacceptable online banking transactions
- Voided transfers
Data which cannot be converted from QuickBooks Online to Desktop
Before going for conversion from QuickBooks Online to Desktop, you need to know that certain forms of data cannot be converted to QuickBooks Desktop. These include the following:
- Audit logs cannot be exported in their original form. You can instead convert them to PDF format and subsequently save them.
- Your company information won’t be converted.
- Information related to sales Tax will not be converted.
- Any payments made by using credit card for bills won’t get converted.
Step-by-Step Process for Converting your Data from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop
In order to convert your data in QuickBooks Online to Desktop, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Login to your QuickBooks online account.
- Download and install the QuickBooks ‘Data Migration Tool’ from the Export Overview page.
- Once the Data Migration Tool has been successfully installed, open the Export Overview page again and click on ‘Continue’.
- Choose whether to export the entire company file or export lists and balances only.
- Once selected, click on ‘OK’.
- In the next window, enter the relevant details pertaining to the email and name of the person to be notified once the export process is complete.
- Once done with filling additional details, return to the QuickBooks Online and click on ‘Get Started’
- On the ‘Prepare to Export Page’, click on ‘Continue’.
- The converted file will be ready for you in the ‘Exporting from QuickBooks Online’
- Choose the QBXML format and download your data to a desired location on your computer.
- Now, open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, open the QuickBooks Data Migration Tool to begin importing the data.
- Enter the same destination to the file path that you entered while exporting the data in QBXML format in QuickBooks online.
- The user permissions screen pops up. Set user permissions if you want the data to be private or not.
- Click on ‘continue’ and ‘done’ in the final confirmation window.
- The process of data migration has begun and waits for the process to complete.
- Now, review your data on the exported company file by matching your reports and profit and loss statements and confirming whether the data is still unaltered.
The process of moving data from QuickBooks Online to Desktop is thus complete and you can now access the same unaltered data file from QuickBooks Desktop.
We hope that the aforementioned walkthrough assisted you in moving your files from QuickBooks Online to Desktop. However, if you encounter any issue during the conversion process, we recommend you to get in contact with QuickBooks desktop support Team via our helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787.